A war of words continued yesterday between North Korea and the United States as tensions mount between the 2 countries and the international community attempts to gauge the prospect of war in the Pacific.
North Korea’s Commander of the Korean People’s Army released a statement on Wednesday confirming that their army is seriously examining a plan to strike Guam, a U.S. territory in the Pacific, through 4 intermediate range strategic ballistic rockets “in order to interdict the enemy forces on major military bases on Guam and to signal a crucial warning to the U.S.”
According to the statement from General Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of the Korean People’s Army, there will be 4 Hwasong- 12 intermediate rockets to be launched by the Korean People’s Army that will cross the sky above Shimane, Hiroshima and Kochi Prefectures of Japan and strike the waters 30 to 40 km away from Guam.
It was also reported in the statement that “the Strategic Force is also considering the plan for opening to public the historic enveloping fire at Guam, a practical action targeting the U.S. bases of aggression.”
At the conclusion of his statement, General Kim Rak Gyom admitted that they are watching developments out of Washington.
“We keep closely watching the speech and behavior of the U.S.” General Kim Rak Gyom said.
In another statement from Pyongyang, South Korea’s recent decision to deploy THAAD Launching Pads was denounced.
Statement By U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis
On Wednesday U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis explained that the United States and their allies “have the demonstrated capabilities and unquestionable commitment to defend ourselves from an attack.”
Secretary Mattis said that North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un should “take heed of the United Nations Security Council’s unified voice, and statements from governments the world over, who agree the DPRK poses a threat to global security and stability.”
Secretary Mattis added that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) must choose to stop isolating itself, stand down its pursuit of nuclear weapons, and cease any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people.
Statement By U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson
Using more nuanced language before the press corps while on the way to Guam yesterday, Secretary of State Tillerson said that last week was a “good week” because the UN Security Council had a unanimous resolution strengthening sanctions against North Korea, with China and Russia joining in.
He also noted the strong statements coming out of ASEAN concerning North Korea.
Secretary of State Tillerson said that President Trump “is sending a strong message to North Korea in language that Kim Jong-un can understand, because he doesn’t seem to understand diplomatic language.”
Secretary Tillerson admitted that the international pressure on North Korea is starting to show.
“I think that’s why the rhetoric coming out of Pyongyang is beginning to become louder and more threatening” Secretary Tillerson said.
Written and Edited By: