The Financial Times reported on Sunday in an exclusive interview with President Donald Trump that the United States is prepared to take unilateral action against North Korea to eliminate the nuclear threat unless Beijing increases pressure on the regime in Pyongyang.
President Trump confirmed that he plans to discuss the topic of North Korea’s nuclear program and the growing threat that is posed to the United States during his upcoming meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping later this week at his Mar-A-Lago Resort in Palm Beach, Florida.
The United Nations sanctioned North Korea on November 30th involving the sell or transfer coal, iron, and iron ore which China has complied with in response to North Korea’s September 9th nuclear test, marking North Korea’s fifth nuclear test.
North Korea’s regime in Pyongyang is expected to conduct their 6th nuclear test in the near future, and may coincide this week when U.S. President Trump and Chinese President Jinping meet in Florida.
While condemning North Korea’s pursuit of ballistic weapons and nuclear weapons at the expense of their own people, the United Nations also suspended “scientific and technical cooperation with persons or groups officially sponsored by, or representing, the Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea except for medical exchanges.”
When the United Nations imposed sanctions on North Korea on November 30, 2016 through Resolution 2321, the Kim Jong-in regime in Pyongyang had already conducted two nuclear tests and at least 25 launches using ballistic missile technology since January 2016.
President Trump admitted during his interview with the Financial Times from the Oval Office that “China has great influence over North Korea. And China will either decide to help us with North Korea, or they won’t.”
“If they do, that will be very good for China, and if they don’t, it won’t be good for anyone” President Trump added.
President Trump made it clear that he would deal with North Korea with or without China’s help.
When President Donald Trump met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe from Mar-A-Lago in Florida on February 11th, North Korea fired a ballistic missile in Pacific waters towards Japan.
In a joint statement on February 11th, President Trump and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe condemned North Korea’s missile launch and re-affirmed their commitment to forge a strong partnership in the Asia-Pacific region.
“North Korea’s most recent missile launch is absolutely intolerable. North Korea must fully comply with the relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions” President Trump and Prime Minister Abe said in a joint statement.
KT McFarland, deputy White House national security adviser, told the Financial Times in a separate interview that there is a “real possibility” that North Korea could develop a long range nuclear ballistic missile capable of reaching the U.S. by the end of Trump’s first term.
Written and Edited By: