President Trump’s decision late on Friday to issue an executive order temporarily halting entry into the U.S. for millions of people from seven countries in the Middle East and North Africa has led to confusion, condemnation, and disbelief across the globe as world leaders react to unprecedented immigration policy changes in the U.S. imposed by the Trump administration that some believe is rooted in xenophobia.
Custom officials across the globe are confronting disillusioned and angry travelers from the banned list who were caught off guard by the sudden policy shift that restricts entry into the U.S.
Protestors are chanting and carrying signs at JFK Airport in New York on Saturday after 2 Iraqi men with ties working with the U.S. government and government contractors were originally detained but finally released at the airport with their attorneys filing a federal lawsuit challenging Trump’s executive order.
The presidential executive order issued by President Trump late on Friday is the most controversial among his 15 presidential executive orders issued last week and halts entry for immigrants and non-immigrants for 90 days from 7 Muslim majority countries including Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen.
Trump’s executive order also closes the door to refugees for 120 days and forces them to undergo more stringent vetting procedure that is aimed at protecting the U.S. from Islamic extremists, according to U.S. President Trump.
“We don’t want them here” President Trump said yesterday about Islamic terrorists during a speech at the Pentagon.
Trump’s executive order cites the 9/11 terrorist attack and points the finger at “numerous foreign-born individuals” who were responsible for terrorism crimes since the deadliest terrorist attack in U.S. history.
“Numerous foreign-born individuals have been convicted or implicated in terrorism-related crimes since September 11, 2001, including foreign nationals who entered the United States after receiving visitor, student, or employment visas, or who entered through the United States refugee resettlement program” the executive order states.
However, all of the 9/11 terrorist attackers come from Muslim majority countries that didn’t make President Trump’s new banned list and includes Saudi Arabia, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, and Lebanon.
Even though four of the 9/11 terrorists attended flight school in the United States, just one is known to have entered the U.S. through a visa for study, and one entered on an F-1 student visa.
The December 2, 2015 San Bernardino terrorist attack killing 14 Americans and injuring 22 others was carried out by Syed Rizwan Farook, an American born citizen of Pakistani descent and was married to Tashfeen Malik, a Pakistani born lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
Similarly, the Paris terrorist attackers from the deadly November 13th terrorist attacks in Paris were Muslims who were legal citizens of France and Belgium.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry Lashes Out, Criticizes President Trump’s New Executive Order
At a time when the United States needs to work closely with other Muslim countries to help prevent the rise of terrorism, President Trump’s new executive order banning citizens from 7 Muslim majority countries for 90 days is perceived as a setback and obstacle for building trust and cooperation with the White House.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani, who is often described as a moderate, is facing re-election in May.
Trump’s latest ban on Iranians entering the U.S. could strengthen hardliners in Iran who ultimately hope to create more distance between Tehran and Washington.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry condemned Trump’s executive order today and called it an “imprudent decision” and “insult to the Islamic world.”
Describing the new ban as a “great gift to extremists and their supporters,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry said the executive order would only serve “to provide a fertile ground for more terrorist recruitment by deepening the ruptures and fault lines which have been exploited by extremist demagogues to sell their ranks with disenfranchised and marginalized youth, and further promote their campaign of hatred, violence, and extremism.”
Iran’s Foreign Ministry stated the Islamic Republic of Iran will “carefully examine and legally pursue any negligence or violation of the international obligations of the United States under bilateral agreements and multilateral arrangements and reserves the right to respond as deemed necessary.”
Iran President Rouhani addressed the 17th World Federation of Tourist Guides Associates on Saturday in Iran and called for the removal of walls between countries, according to Iran’s Mehr News Agency.
During his address, President Rouhani said tourism is a bridge between countries.
“No force can stop globalization and cutting trade ties with the world will bring no favor to global economy” President Rouhani said in his speech.
Last week U.S. President Donald Trump canceled the United States’ commitment to the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and spoke about renegotiating or ending the U.S. trade agreement between Mexico and Canada through NAFTA.
Trump also issued an executive order that enhanced border enforcement capabilities and ordered that a border wall to be constructed along the U.S. -Mexico border.